The 65th Worldcon - the annual convention of the World Science Fiction Society - will be held in Japan this year, a first! During the Worldcom, Hugo Awards are given based on how fans voted - I guess a bit like the RWA convention and its awards :P

So here are Nippon 2007 Hugo Nominations for work done in 2006
(might be a very good source of recommendations)

Best novel

Eifelheim by Michael Flynn (Tor)
His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik (Del Rey)
Glasshouse by Charles Stross (Ace)
Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge (Tor)
Blindight by Peter Watts (Tor)



Best Novella

The Walls of the Universe by Paul Melko
A Billions Eves by Robert Reed
Inclination by William Shunn
Lord Weary's Empire by Michael Swanwick
Julian: a Christmas Story by Robert Charles Wilson



Best Novelette

Yellow Card Man by Paolo Bacigalupi
Dawn, and Sunset, and the Colours of the Earth by Michael F Flynn
The Djinn's Wife by Ian McDonald
All the Things You are by Mike Resnick
Pol Pot's Beautiful Daughter by Geoff Ryman



Best Short Story

How to Talk to Girls at Parties by Neil Gaiman
Kin by Bruce McAllister
Impossible Dreams by Tim Pratt
Eight Episodes by Robert Reed
The House Beyond Your Sky by Benjamin Rosenbaum



Best Related Book

About Writing: Seven Essays, Four Letters, and Five Interviews by Samuel R. Delany
Heinlein's Children: The Juveniles by Joseph T. Major
James Tiptree, Jr.: The Double Life of Alice B Sheldon by Julie Phillips
Cover Story: The Art of John Picacio by John Picacio
Worldcon Guest of Honor Speeches by Mike Resnick and Joe Siclari, eds.



hmmm, going to stop here as the rest of nominations doesn't seem to be books... however, follow the link if you're interested :D

1 comments:

It probably shows how little fantasy I have really read, but I have only heard of two of those!

About this blog

Welcome to Twisted Kingdom - a review site for science fiction and fantasy books.

There have been some recent changes, most obviously the template, so please bear with us while we set up our links and arrange the reviews on our sidebar.

Please drop us a line at thetwistedk@gmail.com if you notice any craziness, broken links or if you'd like us to add you to our link list.


About Me

My photo
Since I was a little girl I have been fascinated with books. Early photos show me with a book in hand, even if it was not exactly my reading level... My first word was a made-up word meaning 'book', actually. I suppose I had my priorities at an early age... Over the years my interest in books has become one of the defining features of who I am as a person. You can probably call me a bookworm. While I have other interests, reading will always be the one I talk about the most, even if I am not focusing on it as much as I used to.

Followers

Labels